TASA/TASB/TASBO Budget Cohort
The Budget Cohort for Texas District Leaders is a joint collaboration between the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA), the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB), and TASBO, to offer comprehensive budget development training for school district teams. The cohort model is based upon the superintendent, chief financial officer, chief curriculum, and human resources officers attending the training together. This model allows districts to better utilize their finance and business functions to support and enhance other areas, including curriculum and instruction, human resources, and special programs.
The program includes 30 hours of training and consists of a combination of webinars and face-to-face meetings at one of the association’s regularly scheduled conferences. All training is led by subject matter experts identified by TASA/TASB/TASBO.
Registration for the 2022-2023 TASA/TASB/TASBO Texas District Leaders Budget Cohort will open in Summer 2022.
Contact Becky Bunte at email@example.com or 512.628.1286 for more information.
Sample Agenda: 2021-2022 TASA/TASB/TASBO Texas District Leaders Budget Cohort Topics
September | Omni Hotel Dallas Ballroom E | 9 AM – 4 PM
- District Data: Understanding Current and Future Data including financial, student, accountability, and
- program effectiveness
- Identifying Opportunities for Transparency as well as the Best Use of District Funds
- Preparing for the October Student Snapshot to maximize funding
- Legislative Update
November | Webinar | 10 AM – 12PM
- Campus and Departmental Allocations
- Setting Expectations with Budget Calendars that Encourage Collaboration Among Departments
December | Webinar | 10 AM – 12PM
- Budget Implications of Chapter 21 Contracts
- Chapter 21 Contract Process
- Maximizing Staffing
January | TASA MidWinter | TBD
- Understanding Texas Demographic Trends and How it Relates to Your District
- Building a Long-term Relationship with Your Chief Appraiser
February | Webinar | 10 AM – 12 PM
- What Information do School Boards Need to Make Sound Financial Decisions?
- Building Community Engagement into the Budget Process
March | Gaylord Texan Hotel | 9 AM – 4 PM
- Staffing and Compensation Strategies for Campus and Auxiliary personnel
- Recognizing the Impact of Staffing on the Master Schedule
- Update on State Funding and Tax Rate Calculations
April | Webinar | 10 AM – 12 PM
- Understanding Your District’s Preliminary Appraisal Values
- Developing Revenue and Expenditure Estimates for FY23 and Strategies to Overcome Budgetary
June | Irving Convention Center | 9 AM – 4 PM
- Update on the Texas Economy
- Projecting Cash Flow
- Strategies to Ensure that Enrollment Stays Strong
- Checking and Double-Checking Maintenance of Effort, Program Spending Entitlements and ESSER
- Funding Compliance
- Calling a Tax Ratification Election – What Do You Need to Know?